Filed Under Mining History
Badger State Mine
1883-1966, 4169 Feet Deep
The Badger, like most of the works on the eastern end of the hill, was principally a copper-bearing mine. Before the Berkeley Pit was excavated, dozens of other mines pierced the surrounding landscape, all of them extracting copper.
The two buildings behind the substation to the west housed huge pumps that supplied compressed air to the inner depths of the Badger and many other mines. Still visible at the Badger are the headframe, hoist house, and auxiliary hoist house. The two steel towers are called idler towers. They supported the tremendous weight of the slack hoist cables.