Salvation Army Building
Butte National Historic Landmark District
Expansion of the mining industry during the 1880s bred a darker side to Butte’s “get rich quick” appeal. Foreign-born miners poured into Butte, often arriving hungry and homeless. The large immigrant population, combined with families left indigent through mining-related accidents, generated an acute need for charitable services. The Salvation Army thus came to Butte in 1888. Assistance included day care for children, housing for the needy, occasional midwifery, and even domestic help. In addition, old-timers recall the rousing free concerts performed every Saturday night by the organization’s band. Circa 1923, the Salvation Army relocated to this fine, newly completed building, where its charitable mission continues today.