J.L. Morris Building

Butte National Historic Landmark District

H. M. Patterson designed this residential building for J. L. Morris in 1898, replacing an earlier dwelling. A year later, Morris commissioned J. A. Riddell to add a storefront to the east at a cost of $9,000. Danish immigrant L. M. Brobeck rented the building in 1900, opened a grocery business on the ground floor, and lived upstairs with his family. The first floor, with its cast-iron storefront, reflects the 1899 commercial addition, while the upper floor displays Patterson’s lively creativity. Arches of quarry-faced stone, oriel windows, and decorative brickwork distinguish this pleasing building, which today continues its residential-commercial function.

Images

J.L. Morris Building
J.L. Morris Building J.L. Morris Building (PAc 91-51 B1 RollCBD03 F12). Front to side view of the building, facing northeast on the corner of West Broadway and Montana Street. B&W. Source: Montana State Historic Preservation Office from the Photograph Archives at the Montana Historical Society Creator: Photographer unidentified Date: 1985

Location

129-135 West Broadway Street, Butte, Montana | Private

Metadata

The Montana National Register Sign Program, “J.L. Morris Building,” Story of Butte, accessed May 18, 2024, https://storyofbutte.org/items/show/1879.