In 1890, a wooden shotgun house stood at 412 West Broadway, while a substantial brick residence stood to the east. When wholesale produce merchant H. E. Morier and his wife, Teresa, decided to build this two-story home in 1907, they discovered that the neighboring brick residence encroached on their lot by five feet. The Moriers successfully sued the home’s owner, O. B. Barber, who responded by slicing his house in two at the property line, perhaps hoping that the dramatic gesture would convince the Moriers to buy him out. With the missing west wall covered by canvas, renters continued to reside in the remaining part of the Barber house while the Moriers began construction of their transitional Colonial Revival home. A one-story projecting bay, a second-story Palladian window accented with pilasters, and terra-cotta egg-and-dart trim along the parapet of the flat roof distinguish the resulting residence. The Moriers did ultimately purchase Barber’s property, which they transformed into a garden.