Filed Under clubhouses
Silver Bow Club
Butte National Historic Landmark District
The elegance of Renaissance Revival-inspired details conveys the extravagance of Butte’s first men’s social club, established in 1882. The prestigious Helena architectural firm of Link and Haire designed the club’s new quarters, completed in 1907, which provided an opulent meeting place for Butte’s mining and commercial barons. With the onset of the Great Depression in the 1930s, however, lifestyles changed and the club ceased to exist. Since the 1950s, the building has served as the Butte Miners Union facility. This magnificent structure thus came to serve, in turn, both owners and workers of Butte’s mines.