Butte National Historic Landmark District

The cornerstone was laid in 1917 for this multi-purpose facility, designed by international Y.M.C.A architects. All contracting, however, went to local firms. The $350,000 building opened in 1919, entirely paid for by citizens’ contributions and built by local laborers. It was “in a very real sense a workingmen’s club.” The six-story landmark included a bowling alley, temperance bar, dormitory rooms, a cork-carpeted running track, and two-story gymnasium. Skylights originally brightened both the second-floor swimming pool and locker rooms, and the library was specially wired to accommodate a “moving motion picture machine” for use by mine rescue and first aid personnel. Following early-twentieth-century conventions, boys and men were strictly separated as the North Washington Street entry inscription “Boys Entrance” demonstrates. Today, the Y.M.C.A. is a fully integrated, co-educational facility.


Y.M.C.A. Y.M.C.A. (PAc 91-51 B3 RollJK13 F27). Front to side view of the building, facing northwest on the corner of West Park Street and South Washington Street. B&W. Source: Montana State Historic Preservation Office from the Photograph Archives at the Montana Historical Society Creator: Jeff Kestle Date: 1984


405 West Park Street, Butte, Montana | Public


The Montana National Register Sign Program, “Y.M.C.A.,” Story of Butte, accessed July 14, 2024, https://storyofbutte.org/items/show/2036.