216 East Quartz

Butte National Historic Landmark District

When John Harrington sold this lot in 1888, he reserved the right to mine within twenty feet of the surface—without reinforcing his mine with timbers. Understandably, the purchasers, miner Con Ambrose and his wife Sarah, built a functional, no-frills gable-front-and-wing residence. Deeds like this one provided a disincentive to invest heavily in a home, and for good reason. Mining took precedence as the nearby Berkeley Pit—once home to crowded neighborhoods—demonstrates. In 1894, the Ambroses sold the home to Philip Goodwin, circulation manager for the Butte Miner newspaper. Most of the other early owners were miners, many of whom worked at the nearby Parrot Mine. Among them were John Wallace, who lived here in 1910, and Maurice Condon, whose family purchased the residence in 1912. Maurice died in 1925 at age fifty-two of pneumonia, one of the many lung ailments common to miners working amid dynamite, damp, and dust. After his death, his widow, Annie, worked as a clerk and housekeeper. She lived here with her son, also a miner, into the 1930s.

Images

216 East Quartz
216 East Quartz 216 East Quartz (PAc 91-51 B4 RollMaM12 F01). Front view of the house, facing southwest on East Quartz Street near the intersection of Quartz and Arizona Street. B&W. Source: Montana State Historic Preservation Office from the Photograph Archives at the Montana Historical Society Creator: Mary Murphy Date: 1984

Location

216 East Quartz Street, Butte, Montana | Private

Metadata

The Montana National Register Sign Program, “216 East Quartz,” Story of Butte, accessed April 14, 2024, https://storyofbutte.org/items/show/2046.