1340 West Granite
Butte National Historic Landmark District
Mature landscaping surrounds this cozy cottage bungalow built circa 1915. Colin L. Christie and his wife Ruth built the home where they raised two sons. Ruth was the daughter of Judge John Lindsay, who came to Butte in 1895 as secretary and legal counsel to Marcus Daly and later practiced law. Colin was the son of Alexander Christie, a partner in Leys Jewelry, a family business established in 1888. Colin Christie attended the Morgan Park Academy in Chicago, optometry school in Minneapolis, and was a certified gemologist. The Christies married in 1912 after a four-year engagement, and Colin joined the family business as manager of the jewelry store. A “ghost” sign at 20 N. Main recalls the Christie family’s longtime business, which closed in 1965 when Colin retired. The home passed out of the Christie family in the mid-1950s. Thanks to careful stewardship, the small frame bungalow retains many original stylistic features including brick porch piers, exposed rafter ends and eave brackets, leaded glass windows, and original interior fixtures and hardwood finishings.