1229 East Second Street
Butte Historic District
Spurred by the arrival of streetcar service, the South Butte neighborhood developed from east to west between 1890 and 1900. French-Canadian immigrants Peter and Lizzie Huotte owned this Queen Anne style cottage—built circa 1895—from 1898 to 1904. Peter, a blacksmith at the Parrot Smelter, and Lizzie, a homemaker, took fine care of the property. In 1905, they hired Hall Bros. real estate firm to sell their home for $1,700. Their newspaper ad included a picture and noted the home’s “tip-top condition,” potential bathroom, storeroom, and two-room rear cabin (now demolished) that rented for $9 a month. Miner Charles Fournier and his wife Bertha bought the house and rented the cabin to lumberyard worker John F. Siegel. Unfortunately, a thief ransacked the cabin in July 1905 and stole $29 from Siegel’s mattress. William and Agnes One moved here with their three teenage children in 1917. When William died in 1920, their married daughter Bernice and her husband Thomas Williams, a railroad switchman, joined the crowded family home. Agnes lived next door after 1934, while Thomas and Bernice remained in residence until 1945.
|1229 E. Second St., Butte, MT||pdf / 1.13 MB||Download|