1900-1956, 4300 Feet Deep
The hoist house now serves as a senior center.
The Belmont was one of the hotter works, shunned by miners from northern climates but attractive to muckers from Mexico and other warm Latin American countries. They often sought work here, just as the Irish flocked to the Mountain Con.
The Belmont was acquired by the Anaconda Copper Mining Company in 1906. The mine had produced little up to this time, and the ACM intended to use it as a hoisting shaft for ore extracted from its other mines, including the Anaconda and the Neversweat. Later nearly 7 million tons of copper ore were hauled up through its headframe, which originally stood at the Cora Mine.
Mining reclamation has leveled the landscape surrounding the mine yard, as well as most of the mine yard itself. Lime was liberally applied to neutralize the acidic soils. A layer of fill dirt was laid over top and vegetation planted. The hoist house has been rehabilitated, and now serves as the Belmont Senior Center.