Huge Boilers, which Supplied Heat to Campus Buildings, Still Intact
Only nine of Main Hall’s twenty-five rooms were originally heated by furnace. To remedy that situation, the Mill Building was constructed during 1907 and 1908 to house a large heating plant. This second campus building furnished steam heat to Main Hall and, later, to other campus buildings. It was connected to Main Hall via tunnels in the building’s basement. Although no longer in use, its huge boilers remain intact. The Mill Building also accommodated the assay laboratories, which were moved from Main Hall’s unheated south basement. For this reason, the building was originally named the Metallurgical Building. At one time resident faculty occupied the upper floor. Designed in the Renaissance Revival style, the Mill Building was intended to architecturally complement Main Hall, but not overshadow its grandeur. Today, the building is used as a common space for students to study.