Born in 1884 to James and Florence Painter in Illinois, Emma Painter moved to Butte in 1911. She married Henry LaCasse in 1918, later divorcing in 1931. Emma came to be known as “Blonde Edna” in her line of work. She purchased a two-story house located at 14 South Wyoming, on the edge of Butte’s Red-Light District. She operated a successful business of “ill fame” from the location, later selling it to Andy and Lee Arrigone, who also owned the Dumas Brothel. The last madam to own 14 South Wyoming was Beverly Snodgrass. Emma passed away in 1957 at the age of 73. She is buried in Mountain View Cemetery. The famed 14 South Wyoming was demolished in 1965 to make way for a hotel that would never come to fruition.
Edna LaCasse Memorial Park was named in honor of Emma “Edna” LaCasse.