Foremen’s Park was built on the remediated grounds of the Mountain Consolidated mine yard. The Mountain Consolidated, or the Con for short, was formed as a consolidation of the Mountain, Burnett, Loweville, and Buffalo Mines. The Mountain Consolidated Mining Company was formed to operate the mine, and by 1887 the mine was owned by the Chambers Syndicate. In 1891, it became the property of the newly incorporated Anaconda Mining Company (to be renamed the Anaconda Copper Mining Company in 1895).
The headframe of the Con, the second tallest of those remaining on the hill, was erected in 1928.
Standing at an elevation of 6,135 feet, the “Con” is more than a mile high and a mile deep, the deepest on the hill. In 2006, Floyd and Margaret Bossard paid to have this bit of trivia proudly painted at the base of the headframe. At the same time, the Bossard’s teamed up with their friends, Bob and Pauline Poore, to have the headframe lit in red LED lights.
The foundation for the mine superintendent’s house can still be seen among the evergreens to the east of the headframe. The park is now named for this feature of the mine yard. The park features two miles of walking trails as well as a pavilion, which the public is available to reserve for private events.