Situated far from the mines, southwest Butte grew rapidly in the 1910s, offering middle-class buyers a family-oriented atmosphere. Developers advertised the neighborhood’s access to city water and sewers, proximity to the Emmet Avenue streetcar, and lack of saloons.

In 1914, physician Dr. Henry Carman and wife Ester spent $5,000 on this distinctive eight-room Craftsman style bungalow. Stylistic hallmarks include the projecting gabled porch flanked by matching dormers, decorative casement windows, and exposed rafter tails (in the eaves) and purlins (in the gable ends). Ester presided over Associated Charities of Butte helping the “armies of unemployed” who arrived seeking work during the wartime copper boom. In 1918, Dr. Arthur C. and Lois Jones lived here with three young children, Arthur’s sister, his aunt, and their maid. Arthur—a prominent ear, nose, and throat doctor—advocated for better public health, especially tuberculosis prevention and treatment. Lois hosted a fundraiser here in 1918 for war-torn France, during which costumed ladies in themed rooms told fortunes and sold ice cream, candy, and crafts. In 1923, Joseph Kirkpatrick—a buyer for the Anaconda Company’s purchasing department—resided here. His family remained for several decades.

Images

1161 West Platinum Street
1161 West Platinum Street Source: 1959 Tax Assessment Card, Butte-Silver Bow Public Archives

Location

1161 West Platinum Street

Metadata

Montana Historical Society, “Carman House,” Story of Butte, accessed April 14, 2024, https://storyofbutte.org/items/show/3462.