Sullivan House

Situated on one of Centerville’s steep slopes, this modest Queen Anne cottage was built during Butte’s early copper mining period (1880-1890). The home’s hipped roof, projecting gabled bay, and decorative corner bracket reflect the popular late-nineteenth century style. Early residents include Irish immigrant Hannah Lombard and her adult daughters Nellie and Anna, who moved in after a mining accident claimed Hannah’s son. Nellie worked at Hennessy’s department store, and Anna taught school—a job she held for over fifty years. Bartender James Sullivan, wife Mary, and their three children occupied the house in 1909. James died in 1911, but Mary persevered with help from her sister, sister-in-law, and brothers (all periodic residents). She sent her daughter and two sons to parochial school and then college. Daughter Margaret became a teacher and librarian, son Daniel oversaw Montana’s National Archives survey project in the 1930s, and John worked five decades for the Anaconda Company. Mary served as president of St. Mary’s parish Ladies Catholic Benevolent Association, which provided financial assistance to members in need. After Mary’s death in 1931, John remained in residence with wife Margaret and seven children.

Images

818 Mountain Street
818 Mountain Street Source: 1959 Tax Assessment Card, Butte-Silver Bow Public Archives

Location

818 Mountain Street

Metadata

Montana Historical Society, “Sullivan House,” Story of Butte, accessed July 14, 2024, https://storyofbutte.org/items/show/3463.