Albert Clark House

An eclectic variety of Queen Anne style cottages define Butte’s architecturally diverse neighborhoods.

This four-room hipped-roof home originally included a kitchen, parlor (living room), two bedrooms, and an outhouse located near the alley. The house type—widely available in architectural pattern books—was popular in Butte as it was adaptable to many budgets. Wood-frame models without a gabled front bay or decorative embellishments suited smaller budgets, while brick-clad models with front porches, stained-glass windows, and ornamented gable ends appealed to wealthier property owners. Albert Clark, who built this richly decorated home circa 1896, was printing foreman at the Daily Intermountain newspaper and, later, a partner at McKee Printing. He lived here with his mother until she died in 1903. Albert leased the home until 1908 when he sold it to carpenter Hugh Warriner for $3,000. Newlyweds Philo and Edith Hanson purchased the home in 1909, but they soon moved to a new residence on Antimony Street. Through the 1910s, young professionals such as deputy county treasurer David Kehoe and mining engineer Henry Morse rented the house from the Hansons.

Images

830 West Quartz Street
830 West Quartz Street Source: 1959 Tax Assessment Card, Butte-Silver Bow Public Archives

Location

830 West Quartz

Metadata

Montana Historical Society, “Albert Clark House,” Story of Butte, accessed April 14, 2024, https://storyofbutte.org/items/show/3468.