931 Caledonia

Butte National Historic Landmark District

Miner John Trevithick worked at the Leonard Mine in Meaderville when he built this one-story brick home in 1900. Such five-room, L-shaped dwellings provided affordable, attractive residences for many Butte miners. Front polygonal bays and mass-produced decorative detailing provided visual interest to the small Queen Anne style cottages. Trevithick stayed here only briefly before selling the house to longtime residents Fred and Clara Rowe, who lived here into the 1950s. Like Trevithick, Fred Rowe also worked in the copper industry, but mostly he managed to stay above ground. He was a storekeeper at the B and B Smelter when he and his wife purchased the residence in 1905. In later years, he worked as a foreman at the precipitation plant, where crews recovered copper from water pumped out of the mines. The Rowes, who raised three children in this home, added the second story in 1909. The addition's exposed rafters reflect the Craftsman style, which was fast replacing Queen Anne in popularity.

Images

931 Caledonia
931 Caledonia 931 Caledonia (PAc 91-51 B3 RollDH13 F08). Front view of the house, facing north on Caledonia Street. B&W. Source: Montana State Historic Preservation Office from the Photograph Archives at the Montana Historical Society Creator: Donna Hartmans Date: 1984

Location

931 Caledonia Street, Butte, Montana | Private

Metadata

The Montana National Register Sign Program, “931 Caledonia,” Story of Butte, accessed April 17, 2024, https://storyofbutte.org/items/show/1895.