Butte Daily Post Building

Butte National Historic Landmark District

Architect Herman Kemna, who began his Butte practice in 1898, designed this attractive corner landmark at the end of his productive career. The two-story building of brick and concrete, constructed in 1922 at a cost of $45,000, features large arched ground-floor windows and a series of brick pilasters, which form divisions in the upper floor. One of Butte’s long-time newspapers, the Butte Daily Post, moved its printing operation into the new building in early 1923 without missing a single issue. The Post continued publication on these premises until 1950. Upon assuming ownership from Amalgamated Copper in 1913, John H. Durstan vowed that the politically Republican Post, formerly the Daily Intermountain, would be “an enthusiastic herald of Butte’s industrial greatness,” advocating progress, thrift, and good citizenship.

Images

Butte Daily Post Building
Butte Daily Post Building Butte Daily Post Building (PAc 91-51 B1 RollCBD09 F19). Front to side view of the building, facing east on the corner of East Galena Street and South Main Street. B&W. Source: Montana State Historic Preservation Office from the Photograph Archives at the Montana Historical Society Creator: Photographer unidentified Date: 1985

Location

2 East Galena Street, Butte, Montana | Private

Metadata

The Montana National Register Sign Program, “Butte Daily Post Building,” Story of Butte, accessed May 18, 2024, https://storyofbutte.org/items/show/1917.