School District #1 Administration Building

Butte National Historic Landmark District

William A. O’Brien, architect of the Leonard Apartments and the Kelly and Hennessy mansions, designed this handsome building of brown brick veneer in 1919. In 1920, the offices of District #1 moved from their longtime quarters at Butte High School to the new facility. At that time, Superintendent W. E. Maddock administered twenty-four schools including the high school, a junior high school, an industrial school, seventeen elementary schools, and four ungraded rural schools. The 311 district employees, 286 of them women, served a total of 19,296 students. This familiar Butte landmark, significant for its attractive architecture as well as its long service, well represents the solid foundations of Butte’s public school system. Doric columns and an eighteen-light transom frame the entrance, while glazed terra cotta finishes the multi-paned windows, cornice, and parapet. The building’s historic appearance extends to its well-maintained interior, which features the original plaster walls and oak trim.

Images

School District #1 Administration Building
School District #1 Administration Building School District #1 Administration Building (PAc 91-51 B1 Roll25 F23). Front view of the building, facing west on North Montana Street. B&W. Source: Montana State Historic Preservation Office from the Photograph Archives at the Montana Historical Society Creator: Photographer unidentified Date: Sept. 1981

Location

111 North Montana Street, Butte, Montana | Public

Metadata

The Montana National Register Sign Program, “School District #1 Administration Building,” Story of Butte, accessed April 14, 2024, https://storyofbutte.org/items/show/2005.