Filed Under city halls

Original City Hall, Butte

Butte National Historic Landmark District

By the early 1880s the railroad linked Butte to the outside world and the town had established itself as a mining camp with a great future. One of the few standing structures from the formative era is this masonry, two-story landmark. Under construction in 1884, it housed the first official city administrative offices. Included among these were the jail and a courtroom. Although the height of the second-story windows has been reduced, the upper portion of the building appears as it did in the 1880s. Ornate details along the parapet of angled and corbelled brick reveal the excellence of Butte’s early brickmasons. After 1890, city offices moved, and the façade was modified to accommodate commercial space. The original stairway at the east end, however, remains intact.

Images

Original City Hall
Original City Hall Original City Hall (PAc 91-51 B1 RollCBD09 F06). Front view of the building, facing south on West Park Street near the corner of West Park and South Dakota Street. This shot offers a good view of the distinct staircase to the east of the building's entrance. B&W. Source: Montana State Historic Preservation Office from the Photograph Archives at the Montana Historical Society Creator: Photographer unidentified Date: 1985

Location

116 West Park Street, Butte, Montana | Public

Metadata

The Montana National Register Sign Program, “Original City Hall, Butte,” Story of Butte, accessed April 17, 2024, https://storyofbutte.org/items/show/2029.