923 West Mercury
Butte National Historic Landmark District
In 1896, W. Mead Hanson departed Utah for Butte with his wife, Nellie, and their children. Leaving his job as mail clerk for a short-gauge railroad, the thirty-two-year-old Mead opened a cigar store in the Lewishon Building in the heart of Uptown. By 1900, the family had purchased this home, then a duplex. The Hansons lived on one side and rented the other to machinist Timothy Martin and his family including his wife, sister-in-law, two children, and a nursemaid. Only one other residence stood on the block, even though developers had started selling lots ten years earlier; construction had only just begun on the massive Paul Clark Home across the street. By 1916, the Hansons had converted the duplex into a single-family home and neighbors on both sides crowded their one-story, hipped-roof, four-square cottage. The couple remained in residence until Mead—by then working as an insurance agent—died in 1932. An unusual two-story outhouse—on site throughout the Hansons’ residency—still stood behind the home in 1957, a surprising remnant of an earlier time.