Construction for the Chemistry and Biology Building began in 1920 after Montana citizens supported a $250,000 special bond issue for it. The bond, however, was challenged in court, and progress was halted. Building resumed and stopped again when workers went on strike for five months. Shortly after the strike was settled, the second-floor slab collapsed. Luckily there were no major injuries or deaths. It was found that the formworks had been tampered with, causing the collapse. It was finally completed and ready for use in September of 1923. It was first used as the chemistry and metallurgy building. It is now used by the chemistry and biology departments, including the study of human cadavers.