Dr. Donald Campbell Residence
Part of Mediterranean Block
This was once the home and medical offices of copper king August Heinze's doctor.
Elaborate and diverse architecture characterizes the homes along this stretch of Broadway today, but during the 1880s rather modest dwellings lined the street. This was one of Butte’s first settled neighborhoods and historic maps indicate that the core of this home predates 1884. By the mid-1890s, Dr. Donald Campbell, personal physician to copper king F. A. Heinze, was in residence. Until about 1905 Dr. Campbell had his medical offices at the home; he later became president of Murray Hospital. Campbell enlarged the original T-shaped, one-story house to two stories in 1896, expanding it at the back and to the east. By 1916 the home had again been dramatically remodeled to its present appearance. A graceful arched entrance, unusual decorative cast ironwork, and mission style parapet reflect the Spanish Revival style. Arched, circular, and oval windows and friezes with garlands, dentils, and bull’s eyes further enhance the façade. Its neighbors complement the home’s distinctive architecture. Together the three residences were known as the Mediterranean Block.